First I should point out that I have not been able to reproduce this issue, but it appears to be a potential issue we don't seem to have patched in taglib. So figured I should mention it.
I noticed that libtag* did not appear in abi_used_libs for strawberry, which lead to me finding this:
Patch taglib supposedly needs:
Strawberry does not currently have -DUSE_SYSTEM_TAGLIB=ON set so is not affected, but other applications might be. Some people have claimed simply playing files caused the corruption but that could be due to automatically fetching metadata not the actual playing.
kid3 seems to be using system taglib so I tried to reproduce the problem by clearing all metadata and setting title metadata using this script:
i=0 while [ $i -le 5000 ] do echo "Editing metadata $i of 5000" kid3-cli -c remove "test.ogg" kid3-cli -c "set title 'TEST$i'" "test.ogg" i=$[$i+1] done
But I still can not reproduce it.
I thought this might be global maintainer territory considering its scope so I haven't submitted a patch / rebuilds. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reverse Dependencies: easytag kodi kio-extras ardour gst-plugins-good noise guayadeque cantata taglib-devel krename taglib-dbginfo gstreamer-1.0-plugins-good k3b vlc kfilemetadata tellico mixxx ncmpcpp tomahawk kid3-core