Our Java Stack is relatively not-very-well-maintained, let's try to see if we can upgrade the entire stack to JDK 11.
As of 2020-06-12, all packages that can be updated to JDK 11 have been updated to JDK 11. Thankfully, most of these were painless upgrades. Six packages could not be upgraded—four of these will be deprecated, and the other two have been made to use JDK 8 until they become compatible with JDK 11.
As of 2020-06-14, all changes have been approved, and the patches are being pushed to unstable. If you use any of this software, please give it a look and make sure it still works after the update.
As of 2020-06-17, all patches have been pushed to unstable. Again, please test before this lands in stable. In addition, the four packages marked for deprecation have been deprecated.
As of 2020-06-22, the additional patches that were found to be required have been pushed. I'd consider this upgrade successful. As such, this task will now be closed, and a new one created for the potential deprecation of openjdk-8.
- OpenJDK 11
- Note: Since we don't provide JDK 10 the initial build needs to be bootstrapped as it works on a n=n OR n-1 principle to build.
- JRE's have been deprecated but can still be built with make legacy-jre-image
- OpenJFX 11
- Needs to be integrated with JDK now see - https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/OpenJFX/Building+OpenJFX#BuildingOpenJFX-IntegrationwithOpenJDK edit : documentation is unclear whether integration is required now or not since 11...
- No problems noted with pdfsam
- Supports GTK3
Note: both of these are licenced under GPL-2.0-with-classpath-exception but this licence has been deprecated by SPDX from 2.0rc2 onwards.
- Ant (apache-ant)
- Requires documentation to not be built.
- Maven (apache-maven)
- Some programs may require an older version (use gradlew instead)
- Doesn't build against JDK 11 as of version 1.8.4
- Doesn't build against JDK 11 as of version 5633
- Doesn't actually require a JDK to build
- No stable version builds against JDK 11. Latest 4.x builds against JDK 10, latest 5.x builds against JDK 14